A parent loses her job, an injury results in a father being unable to work, a family breaks up, a parent become ill, a vehicle breaks down. Healthcare costs are on the rise, public transportation is underfunded and affordable housing is almost impossible to find.
These are the reasons why families are homeless, making up 40% of the homeless population. In response to this crisis, Fort Bend Family Promise (along with about 180 affiliated programs nationwide) brings the inter-faith community together to help families regain housing, independence and dignity.
Family Promise provides families in need with safe shelter, meals and support. We help empower families to eliminate barriers, achieve employment, transportation, healthcare and housing. More than 80% of our families successfully obtain safe, secure housing and maintain it two years after graduation.
- Are twice as likely to be in fair or poor health
- Have four times the risk of developmental delays
- One in five will repeat a grade
- 40% will attend more than one school this year, and 28% will attend three or more
- Experience post-traumatic stress disorder at twice the rate of returning Iraq War veterans.